Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Hey Douchebag! Your Band Sucks.






I ran across this site the other day

Rock and Roll Confidential

It is a humbling place to visit for any new band. It is a site celebrating all that is bad in local rock music scenes everywhere. You know mullets, brickwalls, railroad tracks, bad metal. They should rename the site "whatnottodoinarockband.com"

After you stop vomiting and questioning every last thing you have done, make sure you view the RRCTV video's. Specifically episode two with Phraap. Because the vast majority of rock and roll is exactly what those bands are and we all have some level of douchbag in all of us...(ewwwww yuk....I can't believe I just typed that...lol)

Funny thing is the spirit is there....misguided as it maybe, as schlocky as it is you can't help but be drawn in by the band's dedication to underachievment. Lucky for the band who find themselves under the eye of RRC as it may be the only modicum of fame they will grasp. It makes one wonder just what defines success? A big contract? Millions of dollars...or simply to play a decent show, get paid, make a album or two and maybe touch a few people along the way...(hey don't go there...). I know for us it is simply do what we do and move on. Maybe sell a few disks here and there and write some decent songs that at the end of the day you can still stick in the CD player and listen to once in a while. I know I have boxes of old recordings, song ideas that every once in a while I take out and listen to....and ask myself...."What the hell was I thinking?" As M2 puts....it's the "horror" part in "for the glory and the horror" that is rock and roll. It is inescapable for any band to avoid. There will always be the horror you just have to cope with it...learn to accept your inner "douchebag"....(oh man I am cracking myself now.) That is what this blog and our podcast is all about. Call it a movement...a large, foul and uncomfortable hard rock movement as bands are exposing themselves more and more on the internet in attempts to climb above the fray. (how about that imagery...)

So maybe the band Phraap is perfectly comfortable with their stoned and drunk douchebag rock and roll status...so it's okay to laugh with them and maybe take a pull too. It's all part of the show.

One thing is for sure....I am glad we didn't use the brickwall pic....though I must admit...this one could make the hall of douchebags....

Brad

P.S. - If you are thinking of submitting us...don't bother I already did.

No comments: